Thursday, January 27, 2011

Our adoption story

Let me start of by saying, I am a Christian.  So just about every post I write will have Christ throughout it because he is a big part of my life and he is the reason I have JOY, pure JOY, not that crap others call happiness.  (Yes, there is a difference.  Happiness is something you experience from getting or doing something, Joy is just a part of who you are becasue of Christ.)  OK, now on to my story....
Cody and Bobby are my sons.  They are 22 and 20.  Jason and I adopted them at the ages of 13 and 16.  This is a long story but many ask how it came to be that we chose to adopt teenagers. (Yes, crazy, who gets along with their own tennagers, much less adopting two that did not grow up with us?)  I always felt I wanted to adopt and since we already had two girls, I wanted boys and was scared to have another child and it not be a boy.  So, Jason and I talked about adopting a boy around the age of 6 or 7.  Jentri had just been born and I was witnessing at the Tulsa State Fair with a teenager from our youth group.  We came across the section for "Waiting Child" (A program the local news station does for children in foster care).  There was a picture of these two boys that stood out to me and the teenager that was with me was like, "Hey, I know them. They used to go to our school."  This interested me and I asked questions, but never really thought about it again except for the fact that I did want to start classes to adopt.  These two boys where actually from our small town and had attended school here for several years.  (All of this took place at the beginning of October 2004)  Jason and I started adoption classes that November and had finished that January.  During this time a friend had heard we where taking adoption classes and actually mentioned Cody and Bobby.  I was like cool, but my husband would never adopt teenagers, and def. not two.  So, again, forgot about them and continued on with out search.  After several months of not hearing anything from DHS. (Not a single thing, how is that when there are so many kids looking for homes out there?  and I know our home is a good one.)  I called our social worker and she told us it would be good for us if we went to an adoption party.  The next one was in July.  So, we signed up.  The night before the adoption party, we rented a hotel in Tulsa and let the girls swim and loaded up the next morning to go to the party.  I swear, the first thing they had us do was pull out the folders of all the children that would be there that day and gave us inserts of children that decided to come at the last minute.  Guess whos picture was on the very top,  That's right, Cody and Bobby.  I walked right up to my social worker and told her I wanted to meet these two boys.  Not that we wanted to adopt them but just to let them know people from our town are thinking of them.  As soon as we met them, I felt protective of them.  Jason and I spent the majority of our time with them and when other couples would come up to them I felt jealous.  Like, get away from them, they are mine.  (I know, wierd, huh?)  That night, I went home and wrote in my diary about them.  And then about a week later, I wrote again.  I could not stop thinking about these boys.  Butm I never thought Jason would go for it.  So finally one night, I felt God speak to me and tell me to say something to Jason.  So, I did. Me: "Jason" Jason: Yes"  Me: "Remember those two boys from the adoption party..." Jason: "Me too"  Me: "What are we going to do about it?" Jason: "Call in the morning and see where they are and what is going on"  Really?  I was so shocked.  I got up the next morning and stared at the clock till it said 8:00.  I called our social worker and asked her to find out what was gong on with them.  She called back about an hour later and said they where in a boys home in Pawhuska.  She asked if we really wanted them to visit and I said yes.  Great, they where out of school for a holiday Friday and they wanted to know if they could call thet evening and talk to us.  Wow, really, ok.  The boys called that night and we talked and I found out they where actually out of school Thursday too.  They wanted to know if they could come over Wed. after school.  Well, if it is ok with the social worker, why not.  Social worker is ok with it, so the plan was I would pick them up Wed. after school and take them back Sunday.  (Keep in mind, DHS does not normally work this way but they where older and so they do things a little different and can offer special circumstances.)  Jason was not going to be home much this week or weekend because he was really busy at work this time.  I wa a little upset with him that he was not going to spend much time with us but we would get what we could.  Wed. comes and I have not heard from Jason yet, I am ready to pick up the boys and I get a call.  Jason has been in a very very bad accident and he may lose his leg, but he wants me to go get the boys still, his mother is on her way to the hospital and I should not worry about him.  (This is the nurse telling me this)  I am so torn about what to do at this point.  I pray about it and feel like God has told me Jason will be ok and to go get the boys.  I drive the hour and 20 minutes to Pawhuska and walk into the boys home. Here are Cody and Bobby, already hugging Jentri and Janel and ready to go.  As we are driving home I tell them about Jason and ask Cody if he has his permit yet.  He says yes, so I let him drive the rest of the way home so I can make some calls.  Jason is going to get to come home but he has to stay off of his leg and needs to stay laying down. (See what happens when you put off what god wants you to do. LOL  He made Jason spend even more time with us)  So the boys got to stay with us for a full four days and Jason was there the whole time.  Sunday came and I am supposed to take them back.  But, my motherly instinct kicks in and I just can not.  I call my socail worker on her emergency number and tell her I amnot taking them back. They want to stay and we want them too.  Are you sure, she asks, Yes, we are.  She says she will see if she can get an emergency stay thru Monday till we can see what can be done.  Whew.  I will not have to go to jail on kidnapping charges.  Monday comes and social worker calls.  Again, Are you sure you want to do this, YES, we are sure.  By that Thursday we where driving to Pawhuaka to get all of their things packed in my truck and checking them into school.  This was in September (almost a year since the fair)  and in January, their adoption was finalized.  They where mine.  Now, things have not been all peechy and wonderful since then.  But, I have taken enough of your time for now.  I will tell some of those stories at a later time.  This is how Gods plans always get achieved though.  He had this planted in my mind for a year.  Something I never thought i would do, was done.  Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  colossians 3:17

1 comment:

  1. You & Jason are amazing people!!! You, your family & your stories will always hold a special place in my heart!

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    Angie P.

    ReplyDelete